A GUIDE TO HELP YOU GET STARTED WITH dōTERRA ESSENTIAL OILS
Welcome, you’re here because you are intrigued by essential oils or you just got started with one of our starter kits and you want some guidance on how to use your essential oils. In this guide, I am going to go over the top ten most popular oils that every home needs (all these oils are in our Home Essentials Kit – my fave kit and the one that I got started with).
I always recommend that when you get started that you start by adding in simple daily habits in one area of your health and then build upon your routine in other areas of your overall wellness plan. Keep it simple.
What You’ll Need to uplevel your health with oils
dōTERRA Essential Oils
Diffuser(s) …because you’ll want one in every room
FCO (fractionated coconut oil)
The Essential Life Book
Side effects of an essential oil lifestyle
more abundant health
simpler solutions for your health and wellness needs
a thriving community and ongoing educational support
Lemon essential oil is dōTERRA’s highest selling oil. This oil is a must-have for cleansing, energizing and uplifting.
- Add a drop of lemon essential oil to your water in the morning to add flavour and to gently cleanse.
- Diffuse Lemon essential oil to energize and uplift your mood.
- Make an All-Purpose Cleaning Spray using Lemon, Castille soap or On Guard Cleaner concentrate, white vinegar, and water.
- Make a Mirror and Glass Cleaning Spray with water, white vinegar, and lemon essential oil.
- Add a drop or two to a bowl of cold water (or fill your kitchen sink) to clean your fresh fruit and veggies. Let sit for 3-4 minutes to remove residue.
- Remove sticky labels or greasy residue with Lemon essential oil. Just add a few drops to a cotton cloth and it will rub right off.
- Lemon promotes healthy respiratory function and when blended with Peppermint and Lavender, can provide great relief for seasonal allergies. Simply diffuse all three or add two drops of each into a veggie cap and take internally. (*only use dōTERRA oils internally)
- Diffuse in your kitchen to eliminate cooking odors.
Lavender essential oil is the swiss army knife of oils. There are over 150 documented uses for Lavender essential oil.
- Add a few drops of Lavender essential oil to your bath along with Epsom salts and a squirt of coconut oil to create a relaxing experience that will help soothe sore muscles and help promote a restful sleep.
- Diffuse at night for a more restful sleep.
- Soothe sunburn by applying topically. Create your own DIY After Sun Spray by adding 10 drops Peppermint, 10 drops Lavender and 10 drops Frankincense to a 2 oz spray bottle and fill with fractionated coconut oil.
- Dilute with coconut oil and rub on the bottoms of your feet for a more restful sleep.
- Apply to skin to soothe any irritation from bug bites and act as a natural antihistamine.
- Use in cooking to soften citrus flavours and add a flavourful twist to marinades, baked goods and desserts.
- Make a DIY Linen Spray to freshen your linen closet, mattress or car. Add 20 drops of Lavender to a 4 oz spray bottle and fill with distilled water.
- Rub a drop of Lavender in your hands and massage into scalp a few times weekly to help promote hair growth. Or add a drop to your conditioner.
- Apply over the heart and on the back of your neck to help soothe stress and anxiety. Or inhale from cupped hands.
- Inhale and apply on temples and back of neck for headaches or migraines.
Peppermint essential oil is one of my favourite oils! The perfect natural pick me up.
- Need an energy pick me up? Diffuse Peppermint essential oil (I love to combine it with Wild Orange) to energize and uplift.
- Rub a drop of Peppermint essential oil on the back of your neck for alertness and energy.
- Make a DIY After Sun Spray with 10 drops Lavender, 10 drops Peppermint and 10 drops Frankincense. Add essential oils to a 2 oz spray bottle and fill with fractionated coconut oil.
- Peppermint is my go-to oil for headaches. Dab lightly onto temples and back of neck at the onset of a headache.
- Soothe tummy upset. Add a drop of Peppermint to a hot tea or glass of water (*only use dōTERRA essential oils internally)
- Dilute with fractionated coconut oil and rub clockwise on your tummy to ease an upset, bloated tummy.
- Make a DIY cooling spray by adding 20 drops of Peppermint in a 2 oz spray bottle and fill with distilled water. Spray on skin to cool off. Do not get in eyes.
- Diffuse in your office to support increased concentration and motivation.
- Add a drop to your morning coffee or green smoothie for an added burst of flavour.
- Add a drop to a glass of water to freshen breath.
- Support open airways by diluting a drop of Peppermint with fractionated coconut oil and apply on your chest. Or add a drop to cupped hands and breathe in.
- Add to a drop to your chocolate baked goods or hot cocoa for added flavour.
Melaleuca (Tea Tree)
Melaleuca essential oil is another oil that every person should have in their home. This oil is a purifying oil and is a great first-aid oil that can help with many areas.
- Melaleuca is a great oil to use when you are congested. You can apply topically diluted with coconut oil over your chest or diffuse it. I love to boil some water, place it in a bowl with a couple drops of Melaleuca and breathe in the vapor to help clear my airways.
- Apply to small cuts or scrapes to help disinfect and speed up the recovery process. Be sure to clean the scrape first before applying. Make a roller bottle with Tea Tree and Lavender to soothe cuts, bites and stings.
- Got a blemish? Melaleuca can help heal a blemish by applying topically which draws out the impurities.
- Have young kids? Make a DIY lice spray. Add 10-20 drops Tea Tree to a 2 oz spray bottle and fill with distilled water.
- Apply after shaving to prevent any skin irritation. Mix with Frankincense and Lavender and top with FCO.
- Diffuse in your home to clear negative energy.*Emotions and Essential Oils Reference Book.
Frankincense is known as the king of oils. Frankincense is amazing for beautifying the skin, soothing emotions and overall cellular support.
- Nourish your skin. Frankincense is great for beautifying your skin and slowing the signs of aging. Add a drop to your favourite moisturizer for beautiful and radiant looking skin.
- Add a drop to fractionated coconut oil and apply to help strengthen weakened or dry nails.
- Because of its anti-inflammatory qualities, Frankincense is also great for sore muscles and joint pain. I apply a drop or two of deep Blue first and then follow up with Frankincense and Lavender to soothe. Always dilute with fractionated coconut oil to apply topically.
- Diffuse with Peppermint and Wild Orange for an energizing and uplifting boost. (Look for Jen’s Blend in my #artoflifeblends for a roller blend with this combo)
- Apply one drop on your thumb and press into the roof of your mouth when you are experiencing head tension.
- Take one drop under your tongue daily in the morning as part of your daily health habits for its immune boosting and anti-inflammatory properties. *only take dōTERRA essential oils internally. (A tip from Dr. Hill)
- Enhance the benefits of any oil by adding 1 drop of Frankincense.
- Inhale a drop of Frankincense and Lavender together in cupped hands to ease stress and relieve tension then apply to the back of your neck.
Oregano oil is an amazing oil to boost your immunity. This is an oil that we don’t use daily, but we are so grateful to have it on hand when we need it most.
- Add a drop to soups, chile, spaghetti sauce or salad dressings to add beautiful flavour. You only need one drop! It’s quite strong.
- Take a few drops in a veggie capsule for periodic immune support.
- Apply topically to neck and chest (heavily diluted as this oil is hot!) at the onset of a sore throat.
- Add a drop of Oregano to an Olive Oil and Balsamic bread dip and buy your favourite artisan bread. It’s delicious!
- Less is more. Oregano is one of the most potent essential oils. Take extra caution when using this essential oil and follow safety guidelines.
- Oregano can help kill viruses. This is a great oil for killing germs and works wonders on warts or canker sores.
- Add this oil to your favourite DIY homemade cleaning spray.
On Guard is a proprietary immune support blend by dōTERRA. This is probably their most well-known oil blend and one that we use daily in our home.
- On Guard is dōTERRA’s propriety blend for immune support. It contains Wild Orange, Rosemary, Eucalyptus, Clove and Cinnamon essential oils.
- Make an immune-boosting roller bottle with On Guard essential oil and top with fractionated coconut oil. Be sure to follow the recommended dilution chart for various ages. Roll on the bottoms of feet daily from September to April during the cold and flu season.
- Take a drop under your tongue 2-3 times a day at the onset of feeling unwell. *only take dōTERRA essential oils internally
- Diffuse with Lemon, Easy Air (Breathe), Tea Tree or Oregano when feeling under the weather to help purify the air. All you need is a drop or two of each oil. Typically I diffuse 2-4 drops and up to 8 drops if I am making a diffuser blend that has more than two oils.
- Diffuse daily during school months if you have little ones at home to help support everyone’s immune systems and cleanse the air.
Digest Zen (Digestive Blend)
This is a blend of …and helps with digestive issues such as bloating and gas, nausea, motion sickness, heartburn, diarrhea and constipation, reflux and indigestion.
- Apply a drop or two topically diluted with fractionated coconut oil in a clockwise motion on the tummy.
- Take a couple drops in a veggie capsule to soothe digestive discomfort.
- Bring this oil with you wherever you travel (In fact, I take all the top ten with me whenever I am traveling). This blend is great for calming motion sickness from traveling in a car, boat or airplane. Take a drop internally in a veggie capsule or in a glass of water or rub on the tummy.
- If you have had a time where your schedule is hectic and you turn to fast foods that are greasy, be preventative by taking a veggie capsule with Digest Zen before your meal (or add a drop to your water).
- Apply topically on your tummy to provide relief after eating a larger, heavier or restaurant meal.
Deep Blue (Soothing Blend)
This oil blend is quite seriously, the bomb. It is a blend of Wintergreen, Camphor, Peppermint, Ylang Ylang, Helichrysum, Blue Tansy, Blue Chamomile, and Osmanthus.
- Soothe sore neck and shoulders after sitting at a computer for too many hours by rubbing Deep Blue essential oil blend to help ease muscle tension. Dilute with fractionated coconut oil.
- Dilute and apply to your feet, knees or joints before or after exercise.
- Dilute and massage into children’s legs to help ease growing pains.
- Dilute and apply to your lower back to help ease menstrual cramps.
- Bring a roller bottle with you to your next massage appointment.
- Apply to your hands and feet after a day of gardening to help relax your muscles.
- After a long run, dilute a few drops of Deep Blue Soothing Blend in fractionated coconut oil and massage into desired areas. This will give you a comforting sensation after your workout.
Breathe or Easy Air (Respiratory Blend)
Easy Air (or Breathe) is dōTERRA’s proprietary respiratory blend for all things easy breathing
- Easy Air is a blend of Laurel Leaf, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Melaleuca, Lemon, Cardamom, Ravintsara, and Ravensara essential oils. This blend helps maintain feelings of clear airways and easy breathing.
- Minimize the effect of seasonal threats by diluting and applying topically to the chest, back or bottoms of feet or add a few drops into the palms of your hands and inhale directly.
- Diffuse at nighttime to calm the senses and promote a restful sleep. This blend is amazing to combine with Lavender at nighttime (especially if anyone snores in your house!)
- I love to add a drop or two to my shower. It feels like a spa experience with the steam and aroma of this beautiful oil blend. It’s great to open your airways during your morning shower to awaken you for your day.
- Diffuse for a clean and refreshing aroma.
- Diffuse during times of sickness to support easy breathing and open airways.
- Make a roller bottle with fractionated coconut oil and apply to the bridge of your nose before bed if you tend to snore. Be careful not to get in eyes. This helps to open up airways and promote a more restful sleep.
Three ways to use your essential oils
Are you ready to elevate your health?
Using essential oils may seem a little overwhelming at first, and I am here to help guide you and connect you with my team’s resources to help you get started.
There are three ways to use your essential oils; topically, aromatically and internally.
Aromatic use can be as simple as breathing the oil directly out of the bottle or placing 1-2 drops in your hands, rub them together and then cup your hands together over your nose and mouth and breathe in.
Diffusing essential oils is where many people get started. It’s a great way to purify the air, boost your mood and create a healthy environment. Add a few drops to your cool mist diffuser and you’re good to go.
Aromatic use of essential oils is one of the quickest ways to impact your mood. When you breathe in an essential oil, it passes directly into the limbic centre of the brain which impacts mood and emotion.
Essential oils can be applied topically to target specific areas of the body such as muscle or joint pain, an upset tummy or congestion. Common areas to apply essential oils topically on the body are the neck, forehead and temples, chest and abdomen or on the bottom of the feet.
When you apply topically, you want to dilute it with a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil. Dilute 1-2 drops of essential oil with the carrier oil. This helps with any skin sensitivity and also helps the oil to penetrate better into your skin.
Topical use is my absolute favourite way to use essential oils. I use oils topically in my daily skincare routine and I have replaced all of my perfume with essential oil blends.
Certified pure therapeutic grade essential oils can be taken internally to support your overall health. You can add a drop to water, drop under your tongue or put in a veggie capsule (*only take dōTERRA essential oils internally) Always be sure to use glass or stainless steel when adding to your water.
Not all essential oils are safe for internal use. You will find supplement facts on the label of dōTERRA oils that are safe for internal use. When taken internally, essential oils nourish the whole body including the digestive system, mouth, throat, and liver. Always be sure to follow safety guidelines.
Essential oils can also be used for culinary purposes to add flavour to recipes. See my blog for some healthy and simple recipes using essential oils.
If you are already in our essential oil community, join us in our private members only Facebook group where we have ongoing continuing education, monthly giveaways, live q&a and educational videos, DIY recipes, community and more.
If you are ready to get started with essential oils, email me if you have any questions or click over to my ‘Get Started’ page to help guide you with the different options available to you.
Work with me
Work with me as a brand photographer and creative director to help you create and define your brand aesthetic.
Connect with me about brand partnerships. Please note that I only partner with businesses that align with my core values of ethical and sustainable business practices.
Invite me to speak to your team or retreat. Popular talks are on healthy living with essential oils or on building a business that you love and creating a trusted brand.
I love to teach about essential oils. Gather up a group of girlfriends and I will come to you and teach a class.
96 Mary Street
Barrie, ON, L4N 1T1